From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:51:48 +1100
Steve Schwartz wrote of Barber's Toccata Festiva:

>Second that!  The classic recording is E. Power Biggs and (I dimly
>recall) Ormandy leading the Philadelphia.

Dimly perhaps, but accurately.  The LP also had Richard Strauss's
Festival Prelude (bombast, it's true, but I used to think it was *very*
tongue-in-cheek), and Poulenc's Organ Concerto, the first version of
this I ever heard.  The further we get from the LP era, the less it will
be remembered that Ormandy did record a wide range of stuff and not the
standard repertoire by which he's largely represented on CD.  I still
regret passing on a couple of Cowell symphonies (8 and 9, were they?
on RCA?  - anyone remember?  Karl?) years ago and spending the money
I had on something else.

Richard Pennycuick