From:
Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:24:21 +0100
Don Satz writes (about Spohr):

>Although Spohr fares poorly at concerts, he has received plenty of
>attention on record.  That's just one of the multitude of reasons I prefer
>recordings to concerts where folks can't even agree on what to do with
>cough drop wrappers or their enthusiasm.  I'll go with an audience of
>'one'.

I couldn't agree more.

Spohr is much more than a mere footnote in musical history.  As far as I
know he was one of the first real conductors.  He had a profound influence
on the development of violin playing, witness his large output for the
instrument.  e.g.  his about 15 violinconcertos, beautifully recorded
by Hoelscher.  Also worthwhile are the four clarinetconcertos, and the
concertante for harp and violin.

In the case of the chambermusic:  I love the pianotrio's.  It is true,
that Spohr isn't often played in concert, I once heard th violinconcerto
nr 8 (Gesangszene), played by Isabelle van Keulen and the The Hague
Philmarmonic (Het Residentieorkest) And I heard a trio for harp, cello and
violin (played by my daughters).  I myself played, but never performed the
clarinet in the quintet for piano and wind instruments.  So, even in the
footnotes, there is a lot to be enjoyed.

Peter Wisse
The Hague Holland