From:
Jeffrey Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 07:28:51 -0400
Dave Runnion wrote:

>Pretty melodies...I am truly amazed that anyone who likes CM could put
>down Mozart like that.  They weren't pretty melodies, Wes, they are the
>most beautiful and perfect melodies ever written by anybody.  As much
>as I like Bach, let's face it, melody is not his big point.  Harmony and
>texture, yes, counterpoint, great, the greatest, but melody?

I know what you are talking about.  As a relative newbie to CM (4 years),
I listen to very little Bach.  I know, I know, this is sacrilege.  But I
_love_ melody, and Bach just doesn't do it for me (not yet).

I started the thread about "Your Favorite Movement".  Look at one of my
picks: piano concerto 20 by Mozart, first movement, Beethoven cadenza.
If more powerful, beautiful melody can be crammed into a single movement,
somebody please let me know.

Jeffrey S. Hall