From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 17:03:41 -0500
Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

>...  When London was releasing the Complete Mozart Symphonies with
>Christopher Hogwood on LP albums, I remembered being completely delighted
>to hear a very early Mozart Symphony with a choral ending.  It was a major
>treat because I had never heard the piece before.  It antedates Beethoven's
>Symphony Number 9 by about 40 years.

I'm not aware of any choral symphony by Mozart, so I checked Groves and
Zaslaw's book on Mozart works.  There is no mention of a choral symphony.
Now, you mentioned "hearing" the work.  Do you mean you heard it on the
LP's? Or heard about them somewhere else?

>When CDs came out in 83...

I have a copy of all the original CD issues of the Hogwood/AAM Mozart
Symphonies:  7 volumes.

>...and I began replacing those albums with the re-issues in CD format,
>and so I donated my album collection to the library.  I delayed for quite
>sometime purchasing the early volumues that had the very early symphonies
>because I never assumed they would be deleted.  Bad mistake.  They did,
>and I only recently purchased the new reissue box set (19 cds).  But to
>my surprize:  that "Choral Symphony" was missing.

And there is no choral symphony -- or any choral work -- in the original CD
issues either.

Under the assumption that it was an early Mozart symphony, I looked in OCLC
(a helpful library database of cataloged books, music, etc.) and could not
find any choral symphony in the LP releases of the Hogwood/AAM/Mozart set.
Could this be an example of a stray work finding its way onto an LP? Do you
perhaps live near the library which may still have your donated LP's? If
so, maybe you could double check the album and report back.

Mark K. Ehlert