From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 18:28:41 PDT
For fans of the Big Three, here are new recordings which I'm keenly
anticipating:

Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier Book Two from Schepkin on Ongaku - I did a
highly favorable review of Schepkin's Book One about a year ago.  His Book
Two is now available, and it received a great review in Fanfare which has
praised his other Bach recordings as well (GV and Partitas).  I believe,
however, that American Record Guide speaks poorly of Schepkin's Bach.

Beethoven piano sonatas from Peter Serkin on RCA - Serkin is one of the
finest active pianists, and I remember an outstanding Pro Arte disc of
Serkin performing the Hammerkavier sonata on fortepiano back in the 1980's.
This one should be thought provoking.

Mozart's Clarinet Quintet coupled with the Weber Quintet from Emma Johnson
& Co. for ASV - Emma is an outstanding artist and the repertoire is
top-drawer.

Don Satz