From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:28:55 -0500
Denis Fodor a ecrit:

>There are "Swiss" all over the world, such as it is, who have never in
>their lives been to Switzerland, who speak no Swiss dialect, but who lazily
>remain registered in their home communities of which, properly speaking,
>they are citizens.

I have a French friend whose Parisian parents visited Geneva at his birth
for the sole purpose of providing him with Swiss citizenship.  That way he
could never be drafted into the French army.  The situation with Honegger
is a little different.  His parents were Swiss citizens to begin with,
and had moved to Le Havre, France, where Honegger was born and spent his
childhood.  His parents undoubtedly spoke a Swiss dialect.  If a German
Swiss dialect, Honegger may have learned to speak it, but as he grew up in
France, his French would have been "francais vrai", although perhaps with
a Norman accent.

John Dalmas