From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:28:08 -0700
David Stewart inquires:

>I am going to go to Candide, as I have promised someone I will.  I just
>wondered if there were any thoughts about it.  I have WSS so relative to
>that?

I love Candide.  I think it has little/nothing to do with WestSideStory
(not that I don't like WSS).  I think Bernstein captures excellently the
sense of the Voltaire.  If you have time, read the original before you go
to inform the performance.  GREAT book.  If you don't come back humming the
main theme from the overture I'll be surprised!

(I'd rather see Candide than Countess Maritza again.  Seems like they do it
every other year here at the SantaFe Opera.  Plus almost all the Carmen
performances are sold out already.  Crud.  Guess I'll have to see the
Poulenc "Dialogues"!)

Bob K.