From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:32:05 +0100
Bert Bailey:

>Incidentally, Sierra (b 1953), who worked with Ligeti and teaches at
>Cornell, is highly recommended.  He's got an impressive cello concerto
>on the Mexican label Urtext, as well as the gem piece, a piano trio, on
>an anthology called 'Voces Americanas: Voices of Change' (with other wks
>by Davidovsky, Lavista, Leon, and RX Rodriguez).  That's on CRI 773.
>
>Anyway, if you have Sierra's 'Piezas Caracteristicas' CD, and know more
>than I do about its contents, can you lend a hand?

I don't have the CD but as I am intrigued by and quite appreciative of
the cello concerto you mention above - Carlos Prieto's cello is impressive
- I tried to find the information you are looking for, learning a little
more about Sierra and his music as I went along which was quite a reward.

Unless I am mistaken, 'Piezas Caracteristicas' would sum up the whole
CD but only the first five actually bear that title.  The other pieces
bring the number of tracks up to 19.  Do you think the following would
fit what you have?

1991-2 Piezas Caracteristicas for bass clarinet,
trumpet, piano, violin and cello (ca. 16')
1. Piezas Caracteristicas: Segundas Menores: Agresivo y articulado
2. Piezas Caracteristicas: Segundas Mayores: Suave
3. Piezas Caracteristicas: Breve Interludio en Cuartas: Rapido
4. Piezas Caracteristicas: Terceras Mayores: Senero
5. Piezas Caracteristicas: Terceras Menores: Ritmico
1995 Ritmorroto for  clarinet (ca. 6')
6. Ritmorroto: 1. Con absoluta precision ritmica
7. Ritmorroto: 2. Con calma
8. Ritmorroto: 3. Agresivo
1994 Tres fantasias  for clarinet, cello and piano (ca. 11')
9. Tres Fantasias: I. Montuno: Con gusto
10. Tres Fantasias: II. Coral: Espacioso y sereno
11. Tres Fantasias: III. Doce: Agresivo y ritmico
1984 Cinco Bocetos for clarinet  (ca. 9')
12. Cinco Bocetos: 1. Preludio
13. Cinco Bocetos: 2. Cancion del campo
14. Cinco Bocetos: 3. Interludio nocturno
15. Cinco Bocetos: 4. Cancion de la montana
16. Cinco Bocetos: 5. Final con pajaros
1990 Con Tres for clarinet, bassoon and piano (ca. 15')
17. Con Tres: I. Pasacallejera
18. Con Tres: II. Adagio Lirico
19. Con Tres: II. Un motivo para establecer algunas diferencias

Would you care to tell us more about Roberto Sierra's music?

(Many thanks in passing to the friend who introduced me to Sierra, mainly
through the concerto...)

Regards,

Christine Labroche