From:
Phil Domingues <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:05:52 -0500
Rick Mabry:

>To bleed into yet another old thread, I can enjoy, on the other hand,
>a performance on video even if the sound is awful.  My favorite version
>of Prokofiev's second sonata, for instance, is one by a relatively young
>Sviatoslav Richter.  I'm not sure if I would have liked this version as
>much if it had not been for the video, which helped make me aware of the
>great emotion of the playing.  Now I compare all audio versions to this
>one.  Sometimes seeing is indeed the quicker route to believing, even
>with music.

I agree with Rick.  I for one, tremendously enjoy the complete experience
of a picture and sound of a classical orchestra peformance, using the
latest high definition/sound systems available now, or even Lord forbid
a regular TV set with its less than optimum sound.  This may indeed be
the way to begin to break down the suspicion out there that classical
has nothing to offer the average citizen.  We may even be able to capture
some of the "new" experience/excitement in these programs, that the
orginal premieres offered in their time, with the use of the "new"
technology.

Phil Domingues
Monroe, La.