From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:10:44 -0400
Raghu Kakumanu writes:

>The one large scale Schumann piece I am able to appreciate somewhat is
>the Carnaval (both the Cortot and Rachmaninoff versions).  ...
>
>I would like to appreciate and understand this composer much better.
>Am I completely missing something here? Or perhaps I need to appreciate
>Schumann on a different level than I am attempting.  ...

I think that you might find his violin and piano sonatas, his piano trios,
piano quartet and quintet much more to your liking, and perhaps once you
enjoy THEM, you might listen with newer ears to the solo works.  It
happened that way with me.  My first loves were the seldom played String
Quartets!  I am absolutely wild over the piano trios and the sonatas, and
the quintet is a masterpiece.

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>