From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:42:26 +0100
Chris bonds writes:

>Nicolas Croze-Orton wrote:
>
>>[log in to unmask] writes:
>>
>>I'm definitely not on your side.  It's quite a lyrical concerto
>>
>>...  They are all very lyrical, even the concerto`s I do not like a
>>lyrical...  I just think that thinking it is quite lyrical is not an
>>argument with depth, I am not convinced.  I just think that the melody
>>is boring...
>
>I can't speak for M.  Rasmusson but my point was that it is lyrical as
>opoposed to heroic--so if you have to have your beethoven heroic then you
>might be disappointed by the vln cto...

That's what I was hinting at....but obviously it as inpreted as lack of
depth...

>>It is well known though in almost all musical circles, that Beethoven`s
>>forte was not in melody creation...  He surely is not to Schubert or
>>Tchaikovsky`s height for example...

Melody creation is a mystery, and I'm not sure how a melody is defined?
I avoid that word.  Where does it start and where does it end? Is it just
the unaccompanied notes or are the chords (as well as the position of the
chords) included? What about rubati and dynamics? Are they integral parts
of the melody or not?