From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:40:05 -0400
Donald Satz writes:

>f.  I just have one more thing to say - goodbye.

Before you go, Don, I did want to say that I'm largely comfortable
with your noncommital attitude on Naxos.  It's certainly a label worth
considering, but when it comes to mediating quality with price there are
many other places to look.  For instance I bought, for a song, a Nimbus box
of 12 cd's containing all of Schubert's symphonies, four string quartets,
three discs' worth of piano works and some Lieder.  I confess I was
inspired to buy because, at that price, there seemed to be hardly any
risk entailed.  In the event, I found that the symphonies, played by the
Hannover Band, were of surprisingly good quality.  Indeed, I now prefer
them to my old set of Boehm/VPO performances--and that, for me, is saying
quite a bit.  The other stuff is also good, except, in my opinion, the
Lieder.  The message here is that striving for quality on a low budget
so as to compete on the market on the strength of price is a good thing.
Therefore Naxos is a good thing--and Nimbus et al.  are good things,.  when
their price is right.I like to hope that, when it is,it will help keep the
majors on their toes, both as to quality and price.  Because I do tend to
go to the majors for canon material.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]