From:
Jan Templiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:34:36 +0200
Donald Satz:

>I guess that Jan is saying that first violins are generally seated on
>the left or in the middle, but I've never noticed one way or the other.

Oh.  The only case I know where the 1st violins might be not on the left
side is in Bayreuth.  Nowhere else I have ever seen or heard of the first
violins not being left of the conductor.

>Does it make a difference?

To me it is a tremendous difference.  The interplay between first and
second violins almost always is a joy.

>Is that the way it is in live concerts?

Yes.

>Where am I?