From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 14:13:51 -0700
A recent post addresses this subject tangentially (see thread title)

This is a very interesting subject so I'm would like to offer it as a
thread..  Is all music either program or not? Is there music that is both?
What is the difference in terms or melody, harmony, rhythm, tempo, form &
structure, etc.  Which came first?

If I wanted to write program music, what would I NOT do.  If I wanted
to write non-program music, what would I NOT do.? What music is so close
that informed music listeners argue over which category it belongs in.
And finally, which music falls in neither category? Anyone?

Bill Pirkle