From:
Jeffrey James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:03:05 -0400
Let me say right at the outset that my name is Jeffrey James and I
represent the music of Benjamin Lees.

 From time to time I've noticed questions about pieces that highlight
specific orchestral sections, so I wanted to make the group aware of four
works by Benjamin Lees that do just this.  They are:

Concerto for Brass Choir and Orchestra - 20 minutes - premiered by the
Dallas Symphony in 1983 and performed on their European tour - other
performances by Delaware, Oregon, San Jose, Tacoma and San Diego Symphonies
- a wonderful piece that really highlights your brass section to great
effect - the solo group is 4-3-3-1.  John Ardoin of The Dallas Morning News
wrote, "...the concerto was a piece that shone brightly and communicated
unerringly."

Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra - 21 minutes - premiered by
the Paganini Quartet and the Kansas City Symphony in 1965 - more than 80
subsequent performances by major and regional orchestras, most recently
(November 1998) presented by Leonard Slatkin and The New York Philharmonic.
Shows off your string principals.  Strong, rhythmic, intensely colored
music.

Concerto for Woodwind Quintet and Orchestra - 18 minutes - premiered by
the Detroit Symphony in 1976 - other performances with the Cleveland and
Baltimore Symphonies - a terrific showcase for your wind principals in two
extremely rhythmic movements.

and the newest addition:

Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra - Commissioned by the Orchestre
Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo and set to premiere in December of this year.

All of these works, except, of course, the Concerto for Percussion and
Orchestra (which will be ready soon), are currently available from Boosey
& Hawkes.

If you'd like more information about any of these fine works, please
contact me at [log in to unmask] or by phone at 516-797-9166.

Jeffrey James <[log in to unmask]>