From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:07:42 -0500
Don asks:

>There is a way around the new directive - fewer instruments in the
>orchestra.  Would that bother a Mahler enthusiast?

In many cases, yes.  I would not like to imagine the beginning of the
Third without eight, count 'em, eight, horns.  I've seen a 6th done with
four harps and two celestas.  And how about that sixth trumpet part in
the 6th?  Pity the poor player: he only plays in the finale but there's
no unobtrusive way to get him on stage between movements.  He has to be
there for three movements with absolutely nothing to do.

On the other hand, if you have fewer players, maybe it's time for one
of the song cycles.  Or the chamber versions of the Mahler symphonies.
The Fourth and Das Lied have been converted, and I've heard of -- but
not heard -- a 15-string version of the Adagio of the 10th.  There is
also a chamber version of the Gesellen songs.  You can find a pairing
of the 4th and the Gesellens on Capriccio 10 863, the Linos Ensemble.

Mitch Friedfeld