From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:43:47 -0700
Hakan Hardenberger
Trumpet Concerti

*  HK GRUBER: Aerial, Concerto for trumpet and orchestra
*  EOTVOS: Jet Stream for trumpet and orchestra
*  TURNAGE: From the Wreckage, Concerto for trumpet and orchestra

Hakan Hardenberger (trumpet); Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra/Peter Eotvos
DG 00289 477 6750  Total time: 62:27

Summary for the Busy Executive: From the mildly interesting to the
coma-inducing.

Three contemporary trumpet concerti with the Swedish virtuoso
Hardenberger.  The most engaging -- and, not coincidentally, the only
one with any sense of humor -- is Gruber's Aerial.  Gruber, a Viennese,
began as a dodecaphonist but like many of his generation, opened up
to other, earlier styles, including popular ones.  He has a particular
affinity for the stage.  People probably know him best for his Frankenstein!!,
a "pandemonium for chansonnier and orchestra." To me, he seems like a
reincarnation of Eisler and Weill, with a bit of Lotte Lenya thrown in
(he has also sung in cabaret).  Aerial consists of two movements: the
first is a bit of impressionism, inspired by the Northern Lights; the
second a genial overview of Thirties dance music (guess which one I liked
more).  I'm happy to have heard it, but doesn't really stick with me.

Mark-Anthony Turnage's From the Wreckage apparently depicts a bad patch
in the composer's life.  I must admit it's a very focused piece, and I
appreciate its jazz allusions.  However, I simply couldn't get into the
gloom.  I've liked other scores by Turnage more, notably Three Screaming
Popes.

Eotvos's Jet Stream reminds me of a farmyard filled with the Aeolian
harps of rusting machinery and the occasional lowing of a cow.  It's
fine for the first ten minutes.  Unfortunately, it lasts over twenty.

Hardenberger needs no praise as a trumpeter from me.  I salute his
enterprise, particularly since he'll probably not play any of these
concerti that often through the rest of his career.

Steve Schwartz