From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 22:17:44 +0000
Jeffrey Hall asked for recording recommendations for the Beethoven
Septet.  I'm not enthusiastic about rich and creamy performances of
this work, but those who like the effect would find the Academy of St.
Martin in the Fields on Chandos are fine choice.  Some of my favored
versions include the Gaudier on Hyperion, Linos on Capriccio, Nash on
Virgin, and the Consortium Classicum on CPO.

Warner Apex recently issued a super-budget disc of the Berlin Soloist's
account, and the best bargain of all is a 3-cd set from the Melos Quartet
on Intercord also having early Beethoven string quartets.  This set costs
only the price of one premium cd.

My current favorite recording is from the Old Fairfield Academy on Music
Masters; the group uses period instruments, and I love the atmosphere
provided which is quite different from the Academy of St.  Martin.

Don Satz