From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 04:06:55 -0400
Liu I-Chun <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm very much into the music of Schumann (mainly piano music)
>and Rachmaninov (orchestral works).  I understand that both composers
>suffered mental breakdown at some point in their lives [...] Their music
>really appeals to me, especially now when my mood kind of swings with the
>volatile South-east Asian financial markets [...] I was wondering if there
>are other composers who went through similar experiences (mental illness)
>as Schumann & Rachmaninov.

I am sorry to revive a very old thread, but I stumbled on it looking
for information about conductor Francesco d'Avalos.  And I cannot help
mentioning one of the most ill-fated composers of this century, Slovenia's
Marij Kogoj (1892-1956).  The story of his life simply is incredible,
including a change of identity during his childhood.  His original first
name was Julij.  According to one version, his family renamed him after
a younger brother who died in infancy (few of his sisters and brothers
survived).  Another version says that this substitution resulted from a
mistake when he was registered at school -- he had lost his parents anyway.
Well, he fought throughout his active life to get his highly original music
heard.  His opera "Crne maske" (Black Masks, after Andreyev) is now widely
regarded as belonging to the same company as Bartok's "Bluebeard's Castle"
and A.Berg's "Wozzeck", but this recognition took a long time and still has
not reached our more Western countries.  It is hardly a surprise that the
plot should deal with schizophrenia: there is no need for a positive hero
and an evil character, since both are contained in Duke Lorenzo's part.

The music itself is difficult to describe, it is quite symphonic in
character, but at the same time constantly shifting, very colourful and
whimsical at times.  There are hints of Richard Strauss, but the mood
is distinctly individual, and Kogoj's harmonic writing is unpredictable
as usual.  "Crne Maske" is generally considered his masterpiece, and
a recording was made in 1970 (now available on CD, reference Helidon
6.810541, the postal address is at http://www.helidon.com/ and one can
order it by e-mail at [log in to unmask], even in English:-}).

His piano music, sometimes very beautiful, has been recorded by Bojan
Gorisek for the Slovenian Radio and Television -- the CD catalogue is
off-line right now, please contact me off-list if you need more details).
There is also a CD with "Piano" (a collection of 6 pieces for piano) and
the works for violin and piano, including the strange "7 pieces", performed
by Crtomir Siskovic (violin) and Emanuele Arciuli (piano), ref.
Stradivarius STR 33342.

Kogoj studied with Schreker and Schonberg for some time in the 1910s.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le