From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:13:37 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>I do believe that we are what we listen to.  The emotions that I feel
>strongly, coincide beautifully with the emotions inherent in Bach's music.
>The emotions I do not feel strongly or feel "uncomfortable" with are the
>emotions most displayed in Liszt's and Tchaikovsky's music; it's just not
>a good match.

I think that uncomfortable feeling is what's making Liszt's music so
great.  He can cover the whole range of emotions within a single piece of
music.  Sometimes you're comfortable and sometimes not.  That's why you
occasionally can find yourself emotionally lost, but the music is logic
enough so you can find your way back.  Liszt has got several different
styles but his voice is still characteristic and personal.

Intitially, Liszt's music was a bit of a chock to me although it was
more positive than negative.

Mikael