From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:11:47 -0700
Kevin Sutton ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Mats Norrman wrote:
>
>>Do you consider Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" Classical Music?
>
>A classic, yes, but it's rock and roll baby!

Hmmmm, not sure that's how I'd classify it.

However, I'd like to relate a recent incident and see if it changes
anyone's mind.  Occasionally, while channel-surfing (not something I do
often in any case) I'll end up watching one of the 2 or 3 French language
channels we get.

There is one particularly strange programme I'd come across before, in
which a handful of performers *reproduce* some Pop classic, while the words
roll across the bottom of the screen and the audience joins in.  These
people are weird.

Still, a couple of weeks ago they gave Bohemian Rhapsody this treatment
with a half dozen singers plus band behind them.  It was virtually a note
for note copy of the original.

(Odder still, as the camera panned across the singing, swaying audience
there was one man, saying with the rest but also talking on his cell
phone!)

Deryk Barker