From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:30:46 +0000
Jon Johanning wrote:

>I prefer to look at it this way: Williams, Madonna, and Michael Jackson
>are very good at what they do -- it's just that what they do isn't the same
>thing that Bach, Beethoven, and you know who did (I refrain from mentioning
>any of their contemporary colleagues in order to avoid more controversy).
>You and I prefer the latter kind of music, but I must admit that Madonna
>and Michael are excellent at being whatever they are, and it probably took
>them a lot of focus and dedication to get where they are.

This way of looking at things would quickly slide down the slope to
absolute relativism: Eg, an idiot is just as excellent at being an idiot
as a genius is at being a genius, we just happen to like what the genius
excels in better than what the idiot excels in, etc etc...  It is also
arguable that being an idiot takes some dedication and focus (namely
refusing to improve one's mind at every opportunity to do so)...

Ulvi Yurtsever
E-mail: [log in to unmask]