From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:28:54 -0700
Jos's comments impress me somewhat as being of the sour grape variety.
Comments as follows:

>Here's a list of Dutch composers that deservedly would be as widely
>known as some others if e.g.  Naxos was not an American label:

Naxos is NOT an American label, and I think it's rather poor form
to make such a comment, especially that Naxos have gone out of their
way to put out as broad a repertoire as possible.  Having done some
investigation, I have found that Mr. Heymann is open to recording just
about anything that is well crafted and well performed.  If you desire
the music of your country to be on the Naxos label, encourage your
composers, performers and orchestras to submit proposals to Mr.
Heymann.  My guess is that he will listen and respond.

>Note that these are all 20th-21st century composers; it has always
>seemed to me that we only started again composing decently when we
>stopped imitating others.

And whose fault is that?  You make it sound as if foreigners are to blame
for the Dutch lack of originality that reared its head from time to time.

>1.  In Holland we do not posess the backing of a very powerfull record
>company.

This is sad, but others have started and succeeded
elsewhere. Where are your local entrepeneurs?

>2.  We do not have the advantage of blatant chauvinistic musical periodicals
>like the British Grammophone.

Again, why not?  Start one!  You're articulate.  Get onto the writing
staff or Musicweb.uk, and be the spokesman for Dutch music.  It's easy.
You can write well, do something to promote your country's music.

>3.  We have a flourishing and very diverse musical life in terms of
>performing arts.  This leads to a certain feeling of fulfilment in our
>musical scene which prevents us from crossing the border.

IN that case, you shouldn't be taking pot shots at the international
community.  If you're happy at home, stay at home and be happy.  If you
want to travel, update your passport and get on the plane, as it were.

Kevin Sutton