From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 14:36:57 PDT
I was listening to classical music at elementary school age largely due
to the fact that my dad played it constantly at home.  He was a violinist,
and I played piano and clarinet (his idea).  But, I did regularly go to
the Boston Public Library to check out recordings and listen at home.  My
favorites at that time were Vaughan Williams, Shostakovich, and Diamond.

When I became a rebellious teenager, I gave up all instruments and
classical music totally, and concentrated on females, hard rock, various
drugs, and fighting anyone who got in my way.  My dad, having no idea what
to do with me, sent me off to college and I didn't even last one semester.
I joined the Army where the only thing I did well was engage in boxing
matches.  I then went back to college and started flunking most courses.
But, I met my wife in a music appreciation class and began the process of
climbing out of my cage.

I didn't get back to classical music until my late 30's.  That was probably
due to really listening to the words in hard rock (hard to take) and the
death of my dad.  I started out with my three childhood favorites, but
they didn't sound so great anymore.  I then got immersed in baroque music
(modern instruments) but that didn't sound very good either.  But, I then
got hold of Goebel's Brandenburg Concertos, and the world of classical
music really opened up for me.  I kept turning to Bach and then branched
out to Mozart, Beethoven, Zemlinsky, etc.

The significance of growing up in a home where classical music is prevalent
probably can't be overestimated.  It was my musical foundation, and I don't
think there's any likelihood I would be a serious collector/listener
without that foundation.

Don Satz