From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:25:43 +0200
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]> inquires about the new CD on Erato
featuring early Britten works, esp. about the

>Double Concerto for Violin, Viola & Orchestra (written at age 18)
>2 Portraits for?Viola (plus other solo instrs?) & Orchestra

I have this CD and all I know about these works is from the liner notes.
The concerto was written more or less at the same time than the Sinfonietta
op.  1 (wich is recorded on this CD in a small orchstral version for the
first time).  For whatever reason Britten did not finish the score.  There
are speculations that he realised that the work is far to difficult to
be performed by the college orchestra and thus he stoped working on it.
The score was left unfinished and Colin Matthews completed it for this
recording.  Though he admits that he had to add some things and work on the
orchestration he claims that it is 100% Britten and after listening to this
pleasent work I agree!  I do not really remember when the 2 portraits have
been written (CD is at home...) but I think it is the first orchestral
score Britten finished.  Only one of the portraits has the viola as solo
instrument (do not remember which one).  This is a nice work but its not as
interesting as the double concerto, which compares quite well with Brittens
two other concertos.

Achim breiling