From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:25:21 -0500
I recently heard Schubert's 5th on the radio, and I was struck by how
closely it follows Mozart's 40th.  The first and second themes in the
first movements from both symphonies are very similar, in orchestration,
rhythm, and general character, except that the Schubert is in a major
key.  I didn't hear the whole symphony, but I thought I heard marked
similarites in the 2nd and 3rd movements also, but not as much as in
the 1st movement.

My impression was that Schubert used Mozart's 40th as a blue print for
his 5th.

-Mike Leghorn, crying "wolf" again