From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:22:23 -0500
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>Apart from Beethoven's I am aware of one by Penderecki (which I've never
>heard), one by Webern (the theory geek in me needs to mention that this is
>his first 12-tone composition for instruments alone), one by Dvorak (a
>Terzetto for 2 violins and viola), and one by Kodaly (a Serenade, also for 2
>violins and viola).  Schubert also wrote two for the conventional
>combination (one finished, one not), and, IIRC, Mendelssohn arranged some
>Bach for this combination.

Sticking to the 20th century: Max Reger's op. 77b (1904) is an impressive,
distinctly Beethovenian trio, to my ear.  He composed another one as well
...tho' no composition by Reger, chamber or otherwise, has struck me as
favourably as this piece.  On the same disk is a neo-romantic trio by BA
Zimmerman, from 1944.  Also from '44 -- and, to me, the best item on this
recording -- is the string trio by Lennox Berkeley (Heidelberger Streichtrio,
on Cadenza: CAD 800 907; notes in German only).

Bert Bailey