From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 11:26:07 +0200
Vilaas Shetty <[log in to unmask]>

>I'm fairly new to exploring classical music, and I rather like violin
>concerto's and am trying to find ones I like.  Any suggestions for which
>ones to listen to?  ...

Well, this brings back fond memories from remote student years, when I
committed myself to listening to every single violin concerto I could find!
And I still have -- and probably will always have -- quite a few hundred
left for discovery.

So, without quoting all of my favourites (which include some fairly
"modern" ones, and also a few unrecorded ones), you might want to try the
following, for instance:

J.S.Bach: violin concertos (Nos. 1 in a minor and 2 in E major), but also
the d-minor concerto for two violins and the concerto for violin and oboe.
Alongside with Vivaldi's Four Seasons, the Baroque concertos you are most
likely to hear often.

W.A.Mozart: several violin concertos composed before he was 20, which many
consider minor works in his output, but nevertheless tell quite a lot about
"Mozartian grace".  My advice would be Nos.  3 and 5 for a start.

I.M.Jarnovic: a contemporary of Mozart, more eclectic in style (you will
find echoes of Baroque concertos as well as daring high tones, both frail
and bold...) and well worth the discovery.

Paganini: even though I do not really agree with those who admire his
orchestration, you should at least try the 2nd violin concerto, "la
Campanella".  This should not be only about technical prowess, but also
about Italian drama and belcanto.

Schumann: a long-neglected and still underrated Romantic violin concerto.
Arguably its structure might seem a bit erratic at times and the main theme
in the finale is not in itself one of his best inspirations, but the
chamber-like dialogue between the soloist and the orchestra, notably in the
deeply moving second movement, do not sound quite like anything else.
Several good versions, Menuhin, Kremer, or more recently F.P.Zimmermann.

Bruch: apart from the 1st violin concerto, try the Scottish Fantasy.
Rhapsodic it is, formally uncomplicated, but I cannot resist Heifetz
playing this.

Wieniawski: regarded as one of the greatest violin virtuosi after
Paganini, he achieved much more than spectacular instrumental writing in
his 2nd violin concerto.  You will probably like the fiery finale, but the
slow movement probably is a gem of a rarer kind.

Goetz: a strange, short concerto in one movement, spring-like, and of
refined quality as usual with this unjustly forgotten master.  I like the
old recording by Louis Kaufman.

Goldmark: with its utmost simplicty of utterance, I find it one of the
most endearing 19th-century concertos.  Perlman plays it with captivating
enthusiasm, but Milstein (with the Philharmonia for instance) is
unsurpassed in his sheer grace and nobility.  I like Sarah Chang in other
works, but feel that here recent Goldmark recording rather misses the point
-- too sophisticated to be profound.

Lalo: the Symphonie Espagnole is very famous -- and truly wonderful.  Does
it sound "genuine" to a Spaniard, other listers could tell better than me.

Saint-Saens: his most famous violin concerto is No. 3 in b minor.  I find
it a bit heavy and rhetorical at times, but I must admit that it is
literally overflowing with memorable themes.

Dvorak: another rather neglected concerto by an otherwise celebrated
composer.  Slightly uneasy to play, not particularly rewarding for the
virtuoso, but so redolent of Czech nature and poetry.  Try Josef Suk, for
instance (the violinist, not the composer who was his grandfather and
Dvorak's son-in-law).

Brahms: the double concerto for violin and cello is more complex, maybe
more symphonic than the violin concerto, but also fascinating to play and,
I believe, a treat for the listener.

Glazunov: not really a top favourite of mine, but as you mentioned
Tchaikovsky as yours, this one will bring you a different kind of Slavic
broad, colourful lyricism.

Elgar: a gigantic work (only Reger's seems to be longer among the
well-known late Romantic violin concertos), which some find bombastic and
schmaltzy.  Well, I don't, there is a unique blend of passion and intimacy,
of virtuosity and delicacy about it.  Definitely one of my 5 or 10
favourite violin concertos.

Dohnanyi: the 1st concerto can make for slightly uneasy listening at
first, but repeated hearings should reveal everything one could expect from
a Romantic concerto in the grand manner, with a very persoanl, Hungarian
touch (but not exotic or gypsy).

---

Quite a lot of outstanding violin concertos have been composed later during
the 20th century.  You might prefer to wait for closer familiarity with
classical music in general, although personal affinities are often
unpredictable.  If you wish to venture straight away in "bolder" styles,
just let me know.  The following should be very accessible anyway:

Respighi: the Concerto gregoriano is gorgeous, globally more intimate and
subdued than the famous Roman symphonic poems, using archaic modes with
Mediterranean generosity and Respighi's wizardly sense of orchestral
colours.

Bloch: like Dvorak in his New World symphony, Ernest Bloch emphasized the
American (Native American, actually) element in this work, but the Hebraic
epic grandeur is apparent throughout.

Walton: harmonically spicier than the above-mentioned 19th century
concertos, this was the very first "modern" piece which enthralled me.  Now
I sometimes find it a bit too sweet at times, but still highly successful
and infectious.

Barber: violin concerto, 20th-century Romanticism, with some lush lyricism
(for instance the broad, moving main theme in the second movement); Isaac
Stern's version is the classical reference, but I found Shaham's recording
particularly convicing, expressively bolder and more committed than most of
his other CDs.

Khatchaturian: an overtly seducing work, with an exotic Oriental touch
(although all of his works sound almost Russian, compared with his
countryman Terterian for instance), his d-minor violin concerto probably
does not dwell in the same depths as Chostakowitch's 1st or even
Prokofiev's 2nd, but its charm certainly justifies its popularity.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le