From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:46:53 +0100
Michael S. Cole wrote:

>I am somewhat baffled by the extreme hostility expressed on this list
>towards John Williams, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Henryk Gorecki Can anyone
>supply me with an objective (as opposed to an emotional) explanation
>for this seemingly dual standard?

Surely it is because at the end of the day, Bartok, Stravinsky etc.  came
up with great music.  Andrew Lloyd Webber churns out mindless, transparent
cheese.  He is not an artist.  Bartok was.  ALW or JW could never have
written Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra or Strav's the Rite of Spring.
However they can write Pastichey stuff in other people's style which is
distinctly lacking in integrity.  Kind of like the icing withuut the cake.

David Stewart