From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 13:45:00 -0500
I have the Naxos CD of the d minor concerto with Matthies and Kohn
and am not sure if it is for 2 pianos or 1 piano, 4 hands. I found the
following at Berkshire and wondered if anyone has an opinion of either
of these 2.

1: "Brahms, Piano Concerto #1* {the composer's transcription for piano
4-hands}. Bach/ Brahms, Chaconne from Solo Violin Partita BWV 1004
Arranged for Piano Left-Hand. (Stefania Redaelli *& Sergio Lattes,
pianists)" Label: HANSSLER

2: "Brahms, Tragic Overture; Piano Concerto #1. (The composer's own
arrangements for piano 4-hands. Performed by Lilya Zilberstein & Cord
Garben, pianists)" Label: WARNER

These appear to be the same versions, but I am not sure.

Unfortunately, the Naxos CD is a rather tame version of the concerto and
the pianists are not interesting enough to listen to very often. I have
the same two playing other works in their series of 4-hand Brahms, and
they aren't much better in the music that I an familiar with played by
other pianists.

Anyone??

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA