From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:17:46 -0500
Dave Lampson replies to Satoshi Akima:

>>Unfortunately the 20th century was also the age of the triumph of mass
>>produced commercial popular music, which to my mind is what really helped
>>establish the triumph amongst the masses of tonal music over pantonality.
>
>Ah, yes, once again we come to the crux of it.  If we don't like the
>musical styles you do, then we have succumbed to the pressures of the
>ignorant masses.  This sort of broad insult does little to lend
>credibility to an argument.

I think Dave overreacts - quick to see an insult.  I believe that
mass-marketing and recording technologies have affected musical and other
artistic tastes, including the tastes of the college-degreed.  Only a bunch
of fanatics care about classical music, "hard art," or "hard lit" in the
first place.  Charlie Rose - to me a reliable barometer of college-degreed
taste - will certainly not have Jared Carter, Laura Clayton, or Jim Sohr on
his show.  I don't really see why one would ignore these factors, even on
the grounds that one feels patronized.

Steve Schwartz