From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 20:10:57 -0400
In the Classical Net composer listings, Todd McComb provides an excellent
article on the music of Girolamo Fescobaldi.  I just want to note that
Frescobaldi placed great priority on horizontal development in his keyboard
works which expertly mix improvisatory and strict counterpoint elements.

One of Frescobaldi's most well-known body of works is his First Book of
Toccatas which was initially published in 1615.  Frescobaldi then revised
the Book four times with the final revision coming in 1637.  This Book
contains twelve Toccatas and fifteen other pieces including five sets of
variations.  The pieces to the Book are highly varied and express a wide
range of emotional levels.  Similar to Bach, Frescobaldi did not create new
musical forms; he looked to the past for form and was highly creative in
how he used them harmonically.

I had the good fortune to recently find at a local store a 2-cd set
of Frescobaldi's Book I of Toccatas performed on organ & harpsichord by
Rinaldo Alessandrini.  Recorded in 1992, the set is provided by Arcana with
a catalog number of A 404.  The packaging and presentation are superb; the
cover art is stately and lovely with detailed and well written liner notes.
All in all, it's quite an elegant package which I find very impressive.

Of course, the music on the cd's and Alessandrini's performances are
the main reasons for buying this wonderful set.  What I love most about
Frescobaldi's music is the contrast between his precision and horizontal
explorations - order vs.  free will.  Alessandrini displays these contrasts
expertly.  Another great aspect of Book I is the sequencing of movements.
It starts out with the first Toccata which is highly improvisatory and
quite serious in mood.  Second is a dance-like movement much more exuberant
than the first Toccata; it has a playful nature that's infectious.  Then
comes a 15 minute set of variations which finds great variety of expression
and mood.  The remainder of the Book continues in this general pattern of
maximizing the variety and interest to the listener.

One matter I'd like to stress is that Frescobaldi's Book I of Toccatas
takes no backseat to the Bach Toccatas for Organ and are superior in
my estimation to Bach's Toccatas for Harpsichord.  They are masterful
compositions which I think any lover of Bach's music would greatly
appreciate and enjoy.

Don's Conclusions:  As one who has just recently delved into the works of
Frescobaldi, I am deriving great enjoyment from this master.  I'm sure that
I will be purchasing many more Frescobaldi recordings in the future but am
presently very content with the performances of Alessandrini.

Don Satz