From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 09:54:48 -0500
William J. Karzas:

>It is unlikely that the (mono) Kubelik Mercury recording [of the Bloch
>Concerto Grosso #1] will appear on CD as Mercury previously has issued
>the Hanson/Eastman recodings of #1 and #2 on Merc 432 718....Too bad.

It is too bad, if that's so, because Hanson's interpretation is
very different, more like Stravinsky conducting some of his own work;
my brother once called the Hanson "angular." (I swapped my Hanson for
his Kubelik.) There is a performance which has the oomph of the Kubelik,
which I can recommend, well-recorded on Chandos 8593, with the Israel
Chamber Orchestra under Talmi.  (They also perform Grieg's Holborn Suite
and a couple of other works, including the Barber Adagio, in case you don't
have enough good performances of that.)

It is also too bad because, back in Mercury's heyday, they evidently
thought nothing of coming out with more than one recording of a work like
this.  They have reissued the Hindemith Symphonic Metamorphoses, which was
on the flip side of the Bloch, in another of Kubelik's best performances.

Jim Tobin