From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:39:33 +1000
I've noticed what seems a strange cataloguing method on a couple of Naxos
CDs.  To take two examples: (a) a symphony in D by Hofmann is identified
as Badley D4, which I assume to mean that the cataloguer's name is Badley
and the work in question is the fourth chronologically that Hofmann wrote
in D.  (b) similarly, Vanhal's Symphony in C (Comista) is identified as
Bryan C11, suggesting similar conclusions.

I may be missing something but this seems a rather clumsy way of giving
a unique identifier to a particular work, especially as it appears that
Bryan's work is restricted to the Vanhal symphonies because other works
have either opus numbers or nothing.  With BWVs, Ko"chel numbers and so on,
you know where you are much more easily.  I'd be interested to know why
this particular method is used - perhaps because the cataloguing is a work
in progress?

Richard Pennycuick