From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 23:14:06 +0200

Eric Goldberg [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>I think that the Leon Fleisher performance is the one to have, even if the
>sound is not that good.

I think that is a pianist who ahs no sensetiveness at all. I can't know in
the specific case of course, but this is what happnes with pianists who
only play the 'heavy' repetoire; pianosonatas and the like. The best think
one can do, I believe, to improve ones sensetiveness, is to accompany a
Lieder-singer. I rememeber an acknowledged musician here who said to me
that Geoffrey Bush could never stop talking about what an illuminating
event it was to accompaigny Edita Gruberova singing Goldmark and Hugo Wolf
lieder. "I learnt more in 5 minutes then I learned in my whole life" he
said. Now that must have been an illuminating event.

I think many pianists have more sensetiveness then the greatest
technicians, actually. Many times I think the greatest names of the record
labels are not the best, except possibly in just techniqiue. Galina
Wishniewskaya (who is married to Roshdesvensky, cond of. SRSO) is such a
pianist I think. I think her performances very heartfelt and musical, but
she often accopaigny lieder also. I even prefer her to Schnabels mechanics
in many works.

Mats Norrman