From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 21:35:23 +0200
I have for long thought that Pierre Boulez is the best interpreter of
20th century repertoire.  His Mahler 5 and 6 were great successes, his
"Gurrelieder" is gorgeous, his Webern is awesome....

But one of my favourite recordings of his, which I think very successful
is his recording of DeBussys "Pelleas et Melisande".  Many factors
contributes to the good result I think.  Boulez conducting of course,
and the discipline and authority with which he handles the Covent Garden
orchestra - really a good example what energic playing a conductors will
can bring an orchestra to.  But what is an opera without good singers? And
the singers of this recording certainly don't come on shame.  Especially I
like the singing of the bass Donald McIntyre, and the soprano Elisabeth
Soederstroem, who sings her role of Melisande with great compassion
throughout.

I warmly recommend this recording, which can be found at:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000027JJ/classicalnetA/

After having heared it, I am eager to have it!  Sound is just fine.

Mats Norrman