From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:21:18 -0700
Christopher Rosevear wrote:

>It is not perfect; but this version is intensely worth listening to; it
>returns one to an elemental, percussive Stravinsky - we can hear the music
>of the mind even if few orchestras can accomplish the goal.

I just ordered the CD and look forward to hearing it.

I wonder if any list members remember an RCA digital disk of the Sam
Ralphing two hand version of the "Rite" - performed by an Armenian pianist
whose name escapes me.  The disk came out, I believe, in 1978 and was
one of the first Black Disk digital releases.  (Around the same time was
released a red disk of Bartok's "Concerto for Orchestra").  I was very
impresed with that recording of the "Rite"- the piano sound was really
great.

Subsequently, I had the opportunity to hear that pianist perform the
Ralphing "Rite" live at USC and was equally impressed.  Too bad RCA never
released it on CD.

Dave Harman
El Paso, Tx