From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 16:49:14 -0500
Michael S. Cole wrote:

>I guess my real question is, "Why does Beethoven sound so powerful in
>much of his solo piano music while (to my ears) composers like Liszt and
>Chopin sound so mannered (i.e.  unconvincing?)" My short answer would be
>that Beethoven (and Mozart) were composing music, but that Liszt and Chopin
>were composing the equivalent of "New York, New York" for their instrument.

Well,Chopin mannered?.  yes it is posible,but is not Chopin's fault,it
is the fault of Chopin bad interpreters.A good example is the 2nd
Ballade played by Andre watts.  But if you listen it by Rubinstein,
Zimmermann,Pollini,Anievas,that opinion can make a 180 # turn.The problem
with Chopin music is a "sui generis" combination of mozartian cleannes and
clarity plus a dose of sensibility of the highest level,and a subtle degree
of afectionism.The perfect mixture of this ingredients,make a high level
interpretation of Chopin's music.  About Liszt music, i don't think it can
be considered mannered,even if it is play by a non good Liszt interpreter,
but maybe sometimes over bombastic and exagerated.Sometimes it sounds
"cursi" like the "Annes of Pellegrinage".  About NY NY and Sinatra it is
really out of this context.The Sinatra voice for me sounds like a tasteless
spaghetti without a parmesan chesse.  Best wishes.

Gerardo:.