From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:31:31 -0500
David Simmons wrote:

>How does the list feel about stealing material from the composers of the
>past? Should there be attribution? There isn't any in the Santana album and
>I've rarely seen credit given for such "inspiration." Fire away!

Funny I should be reading this just as I'm listening to one of the CDs
in the 9-pound order that just came in from Berkshire, "Les Plus Beaux
Tangos du Monde" (The most beautiful Tangos in the World), one of the
items of which is Violetta, the authorship of which was listed as
"Verdi/Argt/Klose/Lukesch/P.  Ampere".  Verdi? Indeed.  I'd forgotten
that a brief passage from this piece is music from La Traviata.

wm