From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:48:36 EST
I've never seen Amahl, but by coincidence my parents were talking about
it yesterday.  They did not realize it was the 50th anniversary; they just
wondered why it wasn't played on TV anymore.  They also wondered why it had
never been re-recorded (is that the right term?) for TV.

Apparently it has been out of fashion for some time now.  I've never seen
it.  I thought maybe it was because it's not PC (referring to Amahl as
"crippled" and then curing him at the end - it would probably spark a
disability rights outcry) but Janos said it's because it foreshadowed
Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Mary