From:
Ron Ackermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:48:58 -0400
John Parker wrote:

>My question, of Ring Cycle fans is: Would it be stupid to mix different
>versions of the cycle?

There are certainly advantages to having one conductor for the entire
cycle.  However, since you are coming to the cycle fresh, you would
certainly benefit from variety as it is always good to here different
viewpoints.

If you are looking for something good and inexpensive, try the Furtwangler
1950 La Scala on Opera D'Oro.  The whole cycle can be had for around $50.
Excellent singers and a wonderful overall performance.  The sound quality
will not be as good as the Solti, however.  Another good bargain set is
Krauss on Gala.  Both sets have excellent singers, but I prefer Flagstad
on the Furtwangler cycle.

>I came across a box of Strauss' Elektra done by Mitropoulis.  I don't
>remember names of any performers or the orchestra.  It was on a label
>named Dino and it is of a 1950 performance.  Is anyone familiar with the
>recording?

I am not familiar with that recording, however there is an excellent
Mitropoulos Elektra (from 1957) on Orfeo with Lisa della Casa that I
would highly recommend.

Ron Ackermann