From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:19:53 PDT
I hadn't listened to any Bach except for JSB for a few months.  However,
I recently obtained the CPO release of JC Bach op.7 piano concertos.  These
are delightful works - nothing heavy or contemplative.  The Hanover Band
directed by Halstead has the heart of this music in its hip pocket.  The
sound of the fortepiano is excellent and well played by Halstead.  I was
so impressed that I've ordered the first three volumes of CPE Bach keyboard
works on Bis, played by Spanyi, and another disc of CPE's harpsichord works
played by Shirley Mathews on Gasparo.  Right, CPE isn't JC but when I think
of one, the other also comes to mind.

It strikes me that these two Bachs are being recorded at a rate which
appears to be all out of proportion to their popularity.  CPO and Bis are
leading the way with releases about on a monthly basis.  I tend to think
that JSB "carries" the other two along for a great ride.

As an aside, the new CD NOW has an advance release section.  All my recent
ordering has been from this section, and I've gotten myself into a crummy
situation.  I have about 10 separate orders which have at least one 22
June release date, so I'll be charged on the same day for all these orders.
In the meantime, nothing's coming my way - a truely dumb move on my part.
That's one of the reasons I made the Bach order; it should arrive well
before the rest.  This interim period is a good test for my resolve not
to buy from stores - so far, so good.

Don Satz