From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:52:41 -0700
John G. Deacon wrote:

>Can anyone spare a moment, please, to list this year's winners for the
>List? I cannot find any information at all and the Gramophone's website
>has not yet been up-dated.

Here's something I sent friends that I found in The Guardian.  The long
link is probably too much to work well without people going to a lot of
work and the articles do not stay up very long, so here is the text, with
of course credit for the text going to The Guardian, and a general link to
the site.

http://www.newsunlimited.co.uk/

   Czech music fan wins classical record award

   Fiachra Gibbons, Arts Correspondent
   Tuesday October 19, 1999

   Veteran conductor Sir Charles Mackerras won the Gramaphone record of
   the year award last night, one of the oldest artists to win classical
   music's most prestigious prize.

   The Australian-born musician, who is 74, won for his recording of
   Dvorak's Rusalka - hailed as a classic by the critics as soon as it
   was released last year - with the Czech Philharmonic, the orchestra
   with which he has been associated for nearly 50 years.

   The record also features the superstar American soprano Renee Fleming,
   who also won the recital award for her own CD I Want Magic.

   The culture secretary, Chris Smith, presented the award to the
   London-based Sir Charles at a packed gala concert at the Royal Festival
   Hall, London.  The ceremony was hosted by TV presenter Sheena McDonald,
   her first public appearance since she suffered severe head injuries
   when she was hit by a police van last year in north London.

   Sir Charles has been a champion of Czech music in the west, introducing
   Janacek to British audiences and recording some of the most important
   interpretations of Dvorak and Smetana.

   The pianist, Martha Argerich, who has built up a massive international
   following despite her rare concert appearances, was named artist of
   the year.  She also won the concerto award for her recording of
   Chopin's piano concertos with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra.

   Isaac Stern, one of the best-known violinists of the last 50 years,
   was given the lifetime achievement award.  Stern had refused to visit
   Germany in protest at the Holocaust until he relented earlier this
   year and agreed to a teaching visit.

   Riccardo Chailly - last year's artist of the year - won the 20th
   century orchestral award for his recordings of the complete works of
   the Franco-American composer Edgar Varese with the Dutch Concertgebouw
   Orchestra.

   The vocal award was won by Stephen Genz and his accompanist, Roger
   Vignoles, for their recordings of Beethoven's Lieder on Hyperion.

   Other winners were Arcadi Volodos (instrumental award) and pianist
   Krystian Zimerman for his recording of Ravel's piano concerto in G.

- A
http://www.andrys.com/books.html
Search Classical CDs, Sheet Music, Videos