From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:02:05 -0600
Robert Peters wrote:

>Beethoven would have written different music if he had had a loving wife
>and no hearing problems or had lived just fifty years later.

Or if prozac had been available!  But, for me, I am glad it was not as
I doubt his music would have been able to touch me in the same way, or
as deeply.

>And Liszts music would have been different without his vanity (and I
>know that theres also the Liszt who touchingly cared for other composers
>and poor people).

For me, every musician has some vanity, or something close to that
notion...otherwise, why would they think someone would be willing to
spend X number of minutes listening to their work, assuming that notion
ever conciously crosses their mind.  Perhaps it is a fine line between
a "healthy" sense of self worth and vanity.

Karl