From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:59:18 -0700
Tim Mahon ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Mahler recordings always seem to excite great passion on this List.  What's
>the opinion of the Berlin Philharmonic/Abbado recording of Mahler 3 just
>issued on DG -- taken from an apparently 'universally-lauded performance'
>at the RFH in 1999.  The review I have just read (giving it 5 stars) says
>it "...must now be the benchmark by which all others are judged."
>
>I don't have this symphony in my collection and would like other opinions
>before I commit.

While not going quite that far (I found the first movement a little dour
for my tastes) is is certainly an exceptionally fine performance, well
worth having.

Given the current pricing, you could buy this or the Brilliant Classics
complete set which would give you the Horenstein 3rd.

Better still, get both...

Deryk Barker