From:
"Michael S. Cole" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:18:33 -0700
I just bought season tickets (oops, series subscription) for my wife and
myself to the Modesto, CA Symphony Orchestra.  I thought that a listing of
the concert offerings might provide an interesting counterpoint to those of
certain better known orchestras.  There are five concerts in the series (we
have chosen to forego Flash Cadillac-Picnic at the Pops, The Archie Tonge
Memorial Holiday Candlelight Concerts and Mariachi Cobre-A Symphonic
Fiesta).

The programs for the "Five Classic Concerts" are as follows:

I.  Sept. 24-25, 1999
Andrews Sill (Associate Conductor, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra),
Guest Conductor
John O'Conor, Piano Soloist

Ravel-Alborada del gracioso
Elgar-Enigma Variations
Brahms-Piano Concerto #2

II.  Nov. 12-13, 1999
Arthur Post  (Associate Conductor, Israel Philharmonic Orchestra),
Guest Conductor
Jan-Erik Gustafsson, Cello Soloist

Mozart-Divertimento in F Major
Shostakovich-Cello Concerto #1
Schumann-Stymphony #2

III.  Jan. 14-15, 2000
Daryl One (Music Director and Conductor, Victoria, Texas Symphony
Orchestra), Guest Conductor (This is my brother, Daryl, and this is
my other brother, Daryl?)
Robert McDuffie, Violin Soloist

Verdi-Overture to La Forza del Destino
Barber-Violin Concerto
Debussy-Prelude to "The Afternoon of a Faun"
Respighi-Pines of Rome

IV.  Feb. 11-12, 2000
Kate Tamarkin  (Music Director, East Texas Symphony Orchestra),
Guest Conductor
Stewart Goodyear, Piano Soloist

Rautavaara-Isle of Bliss
Ravel- Piano Concerto in G Major
Mussorgsky/Ravel-Pictures at an Exhibition

V.  Mar. 31-Apr. 1, 2000
Michael Krajewski, Conductor
Alicia de Larrocha, Piano Soloist

Dvorak-Carnival Overture
Mozart- Piano Concerto #21
Tchaikovsky-Symphony #4

The Modesto Symphony is auditioning for a new Music Director and Conductor
to replace Mr. Krajewski, the four guest conductors are the finalists for
that position.

The program is adventurous for Modesto (too damned much Ravel).  Does
anyone have any experience of either the guest conductors or the soloists
(excepting, of course, Ms. de Larrocha, with whom I am familiar).

Mike Cole