From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:29:03 -0800
Somewhere around age 10, they bused us schoolkids down to Severance
Hall for Young People's Concerts by the Cleveland Orchestra, conducted
by Robert Shaw (pretty fast company for an initial taste of classical
music!).  I recall going twice, with the same program each time.  They
did Instruments-of-the-Orchestra demos, of course (they sprinked flour
or talcum powder on the tympani head, then whacked it, to show how sound
waves radiate).

I only recall two pieces that they did: Rimsky's Coq d'Or Suite and,
for their Big Finish, Respighi's Pines of Rome.  It was the latter that
really grabbed me, and no doubt planted the seed of my abiding taste for
sonic blockbusters.

 Art Scott
 Livermore, Cal.