From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:47:28 -0700
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Despite his deep understanding of the piano and of the orchestra,
>Ravel never considered himself either a pianist or a conductor.  In
>the wings for a performance as soloist in his G-major concerto, he
>supposedly remarked to the conductor, "What a pity. Now it will all be
>ruined."

Interesting.  If I recall correctly, he planned to play the premiere
himself.  He had to be talked out of it in favor of Margeurite Long.
He conducted instead.  (I think that's right.)

>Ravel's conducting of his Bolero not only bears out his own estimate
>of his podium abilities, but reminds us that this "lollipop" was once
>difficult modern music.

I played Bolero a few months ago.  As far as this trombonist is concerned,
it's *still* difficult.  To play anyway.

> Ravel has trouble keeping the ensemble together.  Soloists
> run ahead of the steady drummer (TUM, dih-dih-dih TUM,
> dih-dih-dih-dih-dih-dih-dih-dih-dih TUM).  Sections veer out of the
> rhythmic groove from other sections in the tuttis.

Those are tricky rhythms, very sneaky.  (Of course, the thing I know
best about rhythm is that it's hard.) Yes, I know. Out there some high
school regional orchestra is playing it very well.  Ah, to be young.

Sorry, just fooling around.

Roger Hecht