From:
Vicente Vida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 11:27:04 +0200
Vicente Vida asked:

>>I usually try to get as many info as I can of all the works I am hearing.
>>Now I am trying with Ligeti's first string quartet and Lutoslawski
>>"Variations on a Paganini's theme". Could some of you help me on getting
>>info about these works?

Steve Schwartz responded:

>What sort of info do you want?

The info that can help me to get a good appreciation of the works, not
being too technical.  For example, the influence of other composers that
can be found, the historic moment that could affect the works, the tematic
structure, what to look for specially in them, what caracteristics make a
recording a good one (orchesral effects, the inner atmosphere,etc) and so
on.  To resume all info not too technical (I have no knowledge on harmony
and composition still) will be welcome, also internet links with
musicologists opinion.

Thanks a lot

Vicente Vida