From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:35:19 -0500
Karl Miller replies to me:

>As to your opening thought...why do you see it problematic to have an all
>Webern, or Schoenberg concert? We certainly have plenty of all Tchaikovsky,
>all Mozart, all Beethoven concerts.

I already took back the all-Schoenberg remark by providing what seemed to
me two very interesting concerts.  The Webern is still a problem for me.
First, almost none of Webern's work goes beyond 15 minutes.  Second, a lot
of it uses the same gestures and techniques.  Third, the emotional range is
a bit circumscribed.  I don't think one could get enough contrast.  After
many years, I blush to admit, I can't tell the 5 Pieces from the 6 Pieces
in a drop-the-needle test.

>So, anyone up for an all Piston concert?

Of course.

Steve Schwartz